Mulgrave Settlers Museum
The Mulgrave Settlers Museum has a collection of objects, photographs and documents from the old Mulgrave Shire.
The Cedar Cutters – Between 1878 and 1880 Gordonvale became the scene of ‘Red Gold’ fever. September of 1878 saw 30 men cutting cedar logs from the rainforests of the Mulgrave Valley.
The Chinese – In 1902 Chinese had about 40 acres near the tramway bridge where they grew maize, bananas, sweet potatoes, pineapples etc.
The Aboriginal people – In 1876 a party of Europeans rode onto land where the Mulgrave Mill now stands. There they found two large circular thatched dwellings inhabited by the local Aboriginal people.
The Receiving Store – Andrew Stewart opened his second store at Redbank which became the centre of a thriving settlement.
The Blacksmith – William Harris opened his blacksmith in Gordon Street in 1908.
The Gold Miners – In 1879 some of those busy gold prospectors were looking around the creeks and gullies that fed into the Mulgrave River, south of Cairns.
The Settlers – William Saunders Alley and his family were the first European settlers on the Mulgrave River. It took them three weeks to make the journey from Cairns to where Gordonvale is today.